Teaching the metro Kansas City communities how to save lives.
Welcome to the HeartSafe Hands-Only CPR website.
We want to thank you for taking an interest in "Heart of America (HOA) HeartSafe Community," sponsored by The Heart of America Metro Fire Chiefs and endorsed by Mid-America Regional Council.
The goal is to promote prevention and awareness of early heart attack care and increase survival from sudden out-of-hospital cardiac arrest in the metropolitan Kansas City area. The program will consist of three parts:
- Provide education regarding prevention and early recognition of a heart attack.
- Encourage early bystander intervention by calling 9-1-1 and performing hands-only CPR.
- Demonstrate use of a public automatic external defibrillator (AED).
Together these steps will help our community support a strong cardiac chain of survival. We look forward to working with each of you to help make your community a "Heart Safe community."
Facts about heart disease:
- 1.2 million Americans are affected each year.
- There are 4,100 heart attacks per day.
- 800,000 Americans die from a heart attack each year.
- Half occur before reaching the ER.
You can help to revive someone whose heart has stopped.
Three things to remember:
- Check for response
- Call 9-1-1
- Administer hands-only CPR - compress 100 times a minute
Watch the video on how to do Hands-Only CPR:
Hard & Fast Hands-Only CPR